Did you really think we would finish the week off without a Friday Fare Mad Men style?
Served by First Lady, Jackie Kennedy at a state dinner in the summer of 1961, this refreshing appetizer was no doubt reinterpreted at many a dinner party of the day. We don’t for a moment think that Betty would have whipped this up at home, although Trudy might have given it a go. No, this was most likely ordered at some posh restaurant in Manhattan during a dinner designed to impress a future client.
Adapted from In the Kennedy Style: Magical Evenings in the Kennedy White House, by Letitia Baldridge, this dish absolutely stands the test of time.
- Peel half of one avocado. In a small bowl, mash avocado half. Add scallion, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1/4
teaspoon of salt and hot pepper sauce. Stir until well combined. Reserve.
- In a separate bowl, stir together mayonnaise, chili sauce, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce and remaining teaspoon of lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Reserve.
- Peel remaining 1 1/2 avocados, cut into half-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Squeeze excess moisture from crab meat. Add to cubed avocado and gently combine. Fold in mayonnaise mixture until crab and avocado are evenly coated.
- Line bottoms of 6 chilled champagne glasses or small glass serving dishes with watercress. Divide crab mixture evenly among glasses. Top each with a dollop of mashed avocado mixture.
- Press egg yolks through fine mesh sieve; combine with parsley in a small bowl. Sprinkle yolk/parsley mixture evenly over each portion. Mimosas can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 hours.